The average cost of a new wheelchair is between $500 and $1,500, but it really depends upon what kind of wheelchair you’re shopping for. You can find manual wheelchairs priced as low as $100, while the cost of a power wheelchair can be as high as $30,000. Keep in mind that the cost of a wheelchair can be covered in part or in whole by your insurance or Medicare, as long as you have a prescription or recommendation from your physician.
What is the Price of a Manual Wheelchair?
A standard manual wheelchair will have four tires, a seat, armrests, footrests, handles, and a manual brake. It’s a basic setup and serviceable for many. There are different types of manual wheelchairs available and the prices vary:
- Standard: $100 – $300
- Transport: $100 – $500
- Lightweight: $300 – $800
What is the Price of a Power Wheelchair?
- Front-Wheel Drive: Provides good stability, can negotiate tight corners, and ride over bumps or curbs up to 2 inches high.
- Mid-Wheel Drive: These “center-drive” chairs provide the best turning radius and are easy to maneuver indoors or outdoors on flat surfaces. They are heavy, so a wheelchair accessible van or lift will be needed for transport.
- Rear-Wheel Drive: Provides better maneuverability at higher speeds and on rougher outdoor terrain. These rear-wheel drive chairs have a larger turning radius so you’ll need to have more room to maneuver properly.
Tips on Shopping for a New Wheelchair
- Consult your doctor or physical therapist to find out what type of chair they recommend.
- Research the available wheelchairs online or at a local medical supply store, and talk to other wheelchair users before you make a decision.
- Check with your insurance to determine how much of your wheelchair purchase they will cover and explore other available assistance programs.
Learn More at Freedom Motors USA
For over 20 years Freedom Motors USA has been dedicated to offering the wheelchair-accessible vehicles and conversions you need to provide the mobility you want. Our finance specialists will ensure that you get a great deal, and we can help you find financial assistance programs for veterans. Check out our wheelchair-accessible vehicle specials and if you have any questions, please contact us online.
More From Freedom Motors USA
How Much Does a New Wheelchair Cost?
The average cost of a new wheelchair is between $500 and $1,500, but it really depends upon what kind of wheelchair you’re shopping for. You can find manual wheelchairs priced as low as $100, while the cost of a power wheelchair can be as high as $30,000. Keep in mind that the cost of a…
Common Caregiver Responsibilities
Contact Us Being a caregiver means helping people with disabilities overcome the struggles of everyday life and boost their independence. As such, caregiver responsibilities are extremely varied. An Overview of Caregiver Duties and Responsibilities Assisting with Personal Care: Duties involve bathing and grooming, exercise, toileting, dressing, and other everyday activities. Basic Housekeeping: Depending on the…
Find Out About Handicap Travel in San Francisco
Wheelchair-Friendly Cities San Francisco, California’s stunning City by the Bay, is one of the most visited cities in America, with popular attractions including Alcatraz Island, the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf, and Golden Gate Park. If you’re going to be visiting, you need to think about how accessible San Francisco is for people in wheelchairs….